Have Doubts About Sterile Processing Technician Career? Read this….
Have Doubts About Sterile Processing Technician Career? Read this…. Do you know which is the most responsible job position in the healthcare industry after the doctors and the researchers? Do you know what the most important element that can make or break the image of the healthcare brand is? Well, if you know the answer, you know how responsible the profile is, if not, the answer is, a sterile technician holds extreme importance in the industry. Sterile technicians ensure that the tools which are used to treat the patients and perform the surgeries are well-maintained, sterilized, and safe for the user. Sterile technicians clean the tools, check their functionality, and maintain the inventory in the hospitals or any healthcare firm. The process of sterilization is quite critical, and they have to ensure that no infections are passed through the tools if the doctors are using it for the treatments. So, do you want to move up on the ladder of the sterile processing technician job profile but have queries regarding the same? Read this blog and get answers to all your questions and make the prime decision. Keep reading…
1. What is the minimum education requirement for sterile processing training?The minimum requirement for being a sterile technician is a high school diploma or equivalent. You would not need to invest yourself in years of schooling to improve the trade.
2. How much time do you need to invest in getting trained?There are various programs available, short one as well as long ones which consist of living as well as virtual lectures. Additionally, real-life training shall also be given during education. You will have to spend hours at the laboratory or in the out-patient setting for being trained. During the training, you shall learn,
- Control and prevention of infection;
- Cleaning, disinfecting, sterilization and decontamination of hospital tools;
- Surgical instrument cleaning and storage;
- Inventory management;
- Microbiological study;
- Medical terminology.
3. Where will you get the job?Being a sterile processing technician, you will not be working on the front desk but would be working behind the scenes. You would be working in the sterile department of healthcare, hospitals, and laboratories. You would not be dealing directly with the patients but with the doctors and the nurses. The role is crucial, and you need to ensure that you maintain the level of safety when it comes to handling the hospital tools.
4. What pay can you expect?The pay scale varies depending on the place you are located at. However, the amount varies as you start getting more years of experience and the top spot.
5. What are the career opportunities for sterile technicians?Sterile technicians’ role has a broad scope of career opportunities. A qualified sterile technician can enter into the below-mentioned roles.
- Sterile processing supervisor;
- Sterile processing technologists;
- Surgical technician;
- Registered nurse;
- Licensed practical nurse.